Recipe Card

Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé

Bijouxs kicks off a month of sides, a delicious selection of little jewel side dishes to complement your celebratory table. First up, Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé, a creamy yet light, not-too-sweet bite of butternut and carrot heaven with a crispy crunchy topping and this is a make ahead-then bake soufflé, so no worries. Bijouxs is on your side!

The holiday table would not be complete without a member of the squash family on the table, their vibrant orange color a symbol of fall feasts. Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé falls somewhere between a true soufflé, a custard and a pudding -no separation of the eggs is necessary- in fact all the ingredients are pureed together in the food processor and of course this equals simple.

A wonderful side dish from the Bijouxs archives recalls my work as a personal chef and this recipe is from Dave Rubell, a personal chef himself. Make ahead dishes are required when preparing meals for clients and this soufflé can be made up to 3 days ahead prior to baking, although I generally bake it off the next day. Bijouxs adaptations to the recipe include brown sugar, maple syrup, with pecans included in the topping.

Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé amply serves 10-12 guests. It requires at least an 11” or larger Cuisinart or food processor work bowl to puree all the ingredients at once. If your food processor work bowl is smaller, process the ingredients in two batches, dividing the ingredients in half, then bring both together in a large bowl, mixing well to combine.

Bake in a 10-inch soufflé dish and be sure to bring the soufflé to room temperature before baking if you do decide to make it ahead. The baking time may vary slightly, depending on the exact size and depth of the baking dish. In general, after the topping has been added, look for some cracking in the top crust around the edges and a firm texture in the center portion, to indicate the soufflé is fully cooked.

If per chance there are any leftovers, Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé makes an incredible breakfast treat gently warmed, served with a dollop of rich Greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Butternut Squash & Carrot Soufflé – a month of sides from Bijouxs, little jewels for your holiday table.

As always, enjoy. B
Recipe Card
  1. Jane George writes

Will give this one a try, sounds easy and delicious.

• Bijouxs writes

Hello Jane! Thanks for checking in with Bijouxs, I think you will enjoy this one!

2. Wow, that looks incredible!! I’m glad Bijouxs is on my side!

• Bijouxs writes

Hi Lentil! The simple side of Bijouxs – sharing the little gems. Thank you!

3. Monique M writes

Yummmmmm! Another great entry. I will look forward yo making this treat.
    Any time to make Xmas treat??

• Bijouxs writes

Hi Monique! Thank you!! and yes, let’s calendar a date to cook!

4. Well, I just THOUGHT I had my Thanksgiving menu all planned out! 🙂 I will definitely be adding this to my table on Thursday! I love that you can make it ahead of time, bring it to room temperature and then bake it off. How easy is that?! Thanks so much for the inspiration – this will be a Thanksgiving feast to remember.

• Bijouxs writes

Hi Emily! Thanks for checking in with Bijouxs! I do love that you can make this ahead and it is simple. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

5. Valentina writes

oh-so-beautiful and delicious!

• Bijouxs writes

Thank you Valentina! Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

6. Sippitysup writes

I have been considering a more elegant, multi course style Thanksgiving this year. Fewer, more focused dishes and this would be perfect for that! GREG

• Bijouxs writes

Greg – I did the same thing this year! On the menu so far: Chateaubriand, tiny roasted potatoes, souffle, salad frisée, & individual gingerbread cakes with lemon sauce. Love to mix it up! Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving!

7. christy writes

bij….you are the master of all things lovely and tasty. i am loving this and wish i was in your neighborhood…i would certainly stop in for a little bite of this gorgeous bijouxs. Happy Thanksgiving 🙂
    -rip

• Bijouxs writes

Happy T-Day to you Rip:) I love this souffle, hope you will too:) Bij

8. Beth Lojeski writes

This was great. My husband said he like the “sweet potato” dish which is good because he claims to not like cooked carrots. I added grated orange peel. I didn’t have cornflakes but I had some other kind of fruity, tasty, flaky cereal;it was delicious as the topping.

• Bijouxs writes

Happy that your husband enjoyed the souffle – big vegetable news:) Thank you Beth!

9. Teenage Cook writes

I wonder if this would work in a mini ramekin,
    Thanks for the lovely idea! 😀

• Bijouxs writes

Yes, the soufflé may be baked in smaller vessels, such as a ramekin but the cooking time will be shortened, so the best thing is to bake until each soufflé is puffed, brown on top, and is firm most of the way through. I might set the timer for 15- 20 minutes to start and from there on out keep close tabs on it, if they are very small ramekins they may bake up quite quickly. Great to hear from you and keep cooking!